Chilton Hospital’s 9th Annual NICHE Conference Bridges the Gap in Care Transformation on October 18|
Chilton Hospital’s 9th Annual NICHE (Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders) Conference, “Bridging the Gap in Care Transition,” will be held on Friday, October 18, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Woodland Commons Conference Center at Cedar Crest Village, Pompton Plains, NJ.
The NICHE Conference offers presentations from a variety of experts in the field of eldercare, as well as information and vendor booths. Nurses, physicians, physical/speech/occupational therapists, social workers, dietitians, case managers and other health care professionals are welcome to attend.
The latest updates on evidence-based care will be presented: pressure ulcer prevention, assessment and care for the elder with substance use/abuse, polypharmacy considerations, screening for palliative and hospice care, pain and comfort management and the use of progressive mobility to prevent functional decline.
At the end of the program, attendees will be able to:
- List three evidence-based methods of decreasing caregiver burden and strain
- Apply evidence-based nursing interventions to improve care outcomes for patients diagnosed with delirium
- Identify infections that are particularly problematic in the geriatric population
- Identify the role of shared governance in professional practice
- Describe common reasons for non-adherence to medication regimens and best practices for improvement
- Identify strategies for successful partnerships across the continuum
- Discuss best practices in the care of the elderly patient throughout the continuum
The following presentations will be provided from experts in the field of eldercare:
- Opening remarks and “Owning your practice,” by Karen Stutzer, Ph.D., RN, executive director of Nursing Practice and Critical Care Services at Chilton
- “Potential for Infection, No Matter Where You Live,” by Richard E. Krieger, M.D., infectious disease specialist at Chilton
- “Medication Adherence: Getting it Right,” by Natalie Erichsen, Pharm.D., Clinical Pharmacist Specialist, Critical Care at Chilton
- “Delerium (What’s Old and New) in Older Adults,” by Elisabeth Micich-Otero, MSN, RN-BCCC, quality improvement coordinator/clinical educator at Christian Health Care Center, Wycoff, NJ
- “What About Me? Caregiver Sensitivity,” by Eileen Specchio, Ph.D., RN, professor at College of Saint Elizabeth, Morristown, NJ, and Michele Kinderman, Ph.D., RN, of Senior Psychological Care, Bridgewater, NJ
- “The Power of Partnership,” by Karen Stutzer and Julia Dumpert, BSN, RN, of Cedar Crest Village
Closing remarks by Joanne Reich, DNPc, RN, MA, NEA-BC, vice president and chief nursing officer of Chilton
Registration is $85 or a reduced rate of $50 for students, which includes materials, breakfast and lunch. Registration deadline is October 11. For more information and/or registration, contact NICHE Coordinator Carnette Smith, RN, MS, at (973) 831-5271, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The official 2013 NICHE Conference registration form
Chilton Hospital's NICHE page
Chilton Hospital is a fully accredited, 260-bed, acute-care, community hospital. It is the first hospital in New Jersey to received Pathway to Excellence designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Chilton recently embarked on a $24 million modernization project, which includes the Cardiovascular Interventional Lab, The Breast Center and the Total Joint Center. It is also a four-time recipient of the HealthGrades Specialty Excellence Award in Stroke, and Five-Star Rated for Stroke Care, the highest possible, for six years in a row. In addition, Chilton is also Five-Star Rated for Joint Replacement and Total Knee Replacement for 2012 and 2013. Chilton’s many services include a state-of-the-art Emergency Department, the Sleep Health Institute, the Comprehensive Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Center, the Chilton Cancer Center, the MotherBaby Center a weight loss surgery program and minimally invasive and robot-assisted surgery. The hospital is located at 97 West Parkway in Pompton Plains, NJ 07444. For more information about Chilton's facilities and services, or to find a doctor by name, specialty, or location, please visit www.chiltonhealth.org or call 1-888-CHILTON.