Satiety - earlyDefinition:
Satiety is the satisfied feeling of being full after eating. Early satiety is feeling full sooner than normal or after eating less than usual.
Abdominal fullness prematurely after meals
Gastric outlet obstruction
- Nervous system problem that causes delayed stomach emptying
- Stomach or abdominal tumor
- Stomach (peptic) ulcer
Follow your health care provider's recommendations. A liquid diet may be helpful. A detailed diet log (recording what was eaten, how much, and when) may be needed. Small, frequent meals may be more tolerable than large, less frequent meals. A diet high in fat may worsen the feeling.
Call your health care provider if:
Call your doctor if:
- The feeling lasts for days to weeks and does not get better
- You lose weight without trying
- You have dark stools
- You have nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, or bloating
- You have fever and chills
What to expect at your health care provider's office:
The doctor will examine you and ask questions such as:
- When did this symptom begin?
- How long does each episode last?
- What foods, if any, make the symptoms worse?
- What other symptoms do you have (for example, vomiting, excessive gas, abdominal pain, or weight loss)
Tests that may be performed include:
|Review Date: 11/22/2011|
Reviewed By: David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc., and Todd Eisner, MD, Private practice specializing in Gastroenterology, Boca Raton, FL. Clinical Instructor, Florida Atlantic University School of Medicine. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.