Chilton Medical Center offers many diagnostic tests that help physicians evaluate heart health without surgery or invasive techniques:
- Echocardiography - This test is an ultrasound of the heart, whereby high frequency sound waves create a digital image of the chambers and valves. These snapshots enable doctors to assess heart function and detect valvular and structural abnormalities.
- Cardiac Stress Testing - This test measures the heart's response to increased activities. Patients are asked to walk on a treadmill while a doctor monitors heart rhythm, heart rate and blood pressure. It is sometimes coupled with nuclear or ultrasound imaging. Chilton Medical Center offers several types of cardiac stress testing:
- Exercise stress test (treadmill testing) – monitors blood pressure and heart activity while walking on a treadmill at different levels of intensity, indicating how the heart responds to different levels of exertion and whether an EKG changes during exercise
- Pharmaceutical stress testing – uses medicines rather than exercise to determine if the heart is functioning properly
- Nuclear stress test – uses a radioactive isotope injected intravenously to measure blood flow to the heart during exercise
- Electrocardiography - An electrocardiogram (ECG) records the electrical activity of the heart to detect abnormal heartbeats, arrhythmias, and/or evidence of a heart attack or other problems.
- Cardiac Monitoring - Chilton utilizes various methods for monitoring heart activity and risk factors, including 24-hour blood pressure monitoring and holter monitoring (to record electrical activity).
- Pacemaker Center - Anyone with an implanted pacemaker may have it monitored by Chilton's Pacemaker Center. Often this can be done in the convenience of one's own home via telephone connection. Cardiologists review results to ensure the device is functioning properly and efficiently.
Outpatient disgnositc testing is performed at both our main campus located at 97 West Parkway Pompton Plains, NJ as well as our state of the art cardiac imaging center in the Atlantic Health Pavilion, located at 242 West Parkway Pompton Plains, NJ.
Call 973-831-5070 for more information about Chilton's Heart and Vascular Care or referral to a skilled Chilton physician.